Over the past few days I assembled a new machine and
installed 13.37 on it. The processor is an i7-2600
and I have 16Gb of memory. Immediately after installing
13.37 I rebuilt the kernel:
In menuconfig I changed the -smp version thing.
I changed the processor type to core2/xeon
I changed to 64Gb memory
I turned off the penguins logo
and I increased the log-shift thing to 18
for a bigger syslog file.
Running on the new kernel I started getting segfaults
on trivial stuff, no chance for a segfault. For example
I got a segfault when executing exit in a bash script.
When I first got a segfault I spent several hours trying
to track it down without success. After that segfaults
started popping up all over the place.
So I went back to the original vmlinuz and all the segfaults
have gone away. I was ready to dump 13.37 and go back to
13.1, but the problem seems to be my kernel and not 13.37.