Domotix is a free Media Center program for Windows, grouping together multimedia functions (music, video, television, photo, webradio) as well as internet services (weather, cinema, RSS streams) into the same interface. Domotix distinguishes itself from the competition (XLobby, Meedio, Media Portal…) with its easy to install and use interface. This tutorial has the goal of exploring the main functions in Domotix, while quickly explaining their implementation
Domotix: A Free Media Center
The television module allows you to watch channels on the Analogue TV Tuner (with KTV), Turner TNT (with Pouchin), and television via ADSL in France via Free and Neuf.
An EPG (electronic program guide) is automatically updated to show you what is playing on each channel, by genre, the times and description.
With Domotix, manually recording your programs, or with a scheduler thanks to the EPG, is possible, as well as being notified when your favorite show it starting.
Choose your TV source
1. Define the TV source
To configure the television module, you have to define the television source that you want to use. To define the TV source, open the options window (heart button or F2) and click on the “Select TV source” button.
|If you have||You should use the source
|An Analogue TV tuner card||KTV|
|An Digital TV tuner card
|A Free internet connection (France)||Free TV|
|A Neuf internet connection (France)||Neuf TV|
For the KTV and Pouchin TV sources, you will need to install these programs on your PV and configure them independently to Domotix.
Here are the official sites that allow you to download the applications and obtain help on their configuration:
- KTV: http://www.kastortv.org
- Pouchin TV: http://pouchintv.baysse.fr/
Une fois les logiciels installés, vous devez spécifier à Domotix où ils sont présents: pour cela, retourner dans la fenêtre de configuration du module TV et sélectionner "Configurer la source XXX".
Dans les deux cas (KTV & Pouchin TV), le premier bouton vous permettra de spécifier le répertoire d'installation des logiciels: définissez le et valider.
Once the programs are installed, you can specify where they are present in Domotix: to do this, return to the TV module configuration window and select “Configure the source XXX”.
In both cases (KTC & Pouchin TV), the first button will allow you to specify the installation folder of the programs: select these and press OK.
2. Define the recording folder
To define a folder where the recordings will be stored, use the “Recordings folder” button in the option window.
Note: You should think of including this folder in the video module, so that access to your recordings is easier.
3. Manage the channels
The channel manager allows you to:
- Define the channels to show
- Define the order of the channels
- Define the associations between the channels and the EPG: this allows Domotix to display the programs that are currently playing. If you notice that the EPG is empty, then this is probably because no associations have been defined.
To manage the channels, from the options window, select the “Manage channels”.
When you are on the TV module main screen, click on a channel to start watching it. By clicking on the “Stop” button, you will stop the TV. If you leave your mouse over a channel without clicking on it, then the program will appear at the bottom of the screen.
To have more information about a program that is currently playing, click on the “program file” button. To access the program guide, click on the button that has the same name.
To watch in full screen, use the “Full screen and remote” button (or F11).
Once you are in full screen:
- Use the left and right arrows to change the channel
- Use the up arrow to display information about the current show
- Use the OK button to access the current program file
- Use the down arrow to access the EPG
- Clicking multiple times on the full screen to change the display mode (normal -> 16/9 -> panoramic -> zoom)
- Use the “menu” button (or F2) to have quick access to the channels
- Use the numeric pad to quickly access a channel
The program guide (or EPG) is automatically updated by Domotix and requires no installation or configuration.
Domotix updates the EPG about every 2 days. When an update is underway, a message will inform you, with the progress being shown at the top of the screen.
This can be presented in numerous ways:
- Program grid: presents the upcoming programs on numerous channels with different information
- Program by genre: access current programs or by genre (Adult, films, series, children…)
- Program file: accessible from the 2 previous modes, the program file displays all information about a program (hours, length, description)
When you are on a program file, numerous options will be accessible:
- Watch: Watch the programs channel
- Notify: Domotix will notify you X minutes before a program starts
- Record: Allows you to program a recording
Domotix can record from all TV sources. The only difference concerns the sources from Free Tv and Neuf TV, which can be recorded in the background while you watch another program.
The recordings are stored in the folder that you defined under the “Options” menu. To record a show, 2 options are available:
- Manual record: When you watch a channel, click on the “Record” button (or F6). The recording will start and you will have to tell it when to stop.
- Scheduled recording: You can schedule a recording from a program file.
To view your recordings, access the manager from the “Options” menu, “Manage Recordings”.
This module will allow you to watch recordings and delete schedules.
Note that recordings you have made will be watched with the Video module: generally it is recommended that you use the “VLC” player so that you can properly watch your files.
Note: If you quit Domotix while you are recording a program, an alert will be shown. If you really want to quit the application, your recording will be stopped.
|Previous review||Next review|
|Wireless USB and USB 3.0: The future of the USB standard||Print servers and how to share a printer|